Everyone who plays Japanese visual novel games must know there is some way to hook text and translate, right? Here is a simple tutorial. I, for one, is first time using a game text hooker so I’m not an expert on it but I find it pretty easy to use /understand even without reading a guide, so I’ll cover the basic of everything to set up and play Prince Maker 3. I’ll be using Interactive Text Hooker(ITH) for this tutorial as it is easier to use and support newer games.
List of things to download!:
1. A visual novel Game supported by ITH like krkr – Prince Maker games use this software
2. Cp2tran v1.2 – Mediafire or 4shared (author,zyl910, published it in various places but I’ll just link to one)
3. ITH 3.0-Download these files – ITH-2.3-110709.rar, ITH_engine.rar(replace ITH_engine.dll), To Upgrade: ITH_UpdaterV2.rar(Everything put in same ITH folder and run the ITH_Updater.exe if you dl the updater, “Update ITH” & “Update Profile”)
4. FASTAIT Personal 2009 – Click the Green or Brown Button at this page to download
5a. If you run the game and it shows weird symbols instead of Chinese, please install AppLocale Utility
I never use Applocale so I’ll link some tutorials. Read tutorial:
Using Applocale Tutorial (This guide select Japanese, but you need to set it to Simplified Chinese – 中文(简体) here)
Install Applocale in Vista(Win7 don’t need to use this, I read that Win7 can use the XP Applocale with no problem)
5b. EDIT: Instead of Applocale, there is a better software to use: NTLEA 0.92. It solves problems that sometimes Applocale can’t solve. Download mediafire | 4shared
1. You launch NtleaGUI.exe and “Install”
2. Don’t tick “Auto takeover .exe files” unless you want all .exe programs you launch to start with a certain language.
3. Pick language: “Chinese (People’s Republic of China)” and “Add”. Close program.
4. Right -click your game(eg. Prince Maker 3.exe) and select the second option “ntlea” or if you have other language installed find below “Load in specific locale” and pick the right language. Below the option is “NTLEA (N)”, you can modify the settings for the game like changing fonts/font size and some compatibility problems with paths.
++Cp2tran v1.2 Window Guide:++
++FASTAIT Free Personal 2009 Installation Guide:++
After you execute FastAIT_PE_Setup.25269.4111.exe to install(follow these buttons to continue):
Open SeniorTranslate.exe file, Eg: Win XP path(Vista & Win7 should be similar):
C:\Program Files\Kingsoft\FASTAIT PERSONAL\SeniorTranslate.exe
–Create a shortcut of SeniorTranslate.exe to your Quicklaunch or Dock or somewhere to quickly execute it. The program is not the software’s main program actually…It is like a side program to translate long text like a document or something long. There is also a program in it that you can select a few text files(like long novels) and bulk translate but it is of not much use to the current situation so I’ll not talk on how to use it.
To close the toolbar that might be taking space, right click the toolbar and uncheck the 1st and 2nd option:
To change window mode(To side by side or above below) Press the following keys: Alt+V+W+C
++Playing the Game with English Translation Guide:++
-Here is a good ITH guide
-You can read the ITH manual for more info
-Good Reference for ITH if you want to read more
1. Open Your Game, in my case I open MSN3.exe, Open SeniorTranslate.exe, Open Cp2Tran.exe, Open ITH.exe
2. Set up everything since SeniorTranslate and Cp2Tran reset everytime you close them.
3.You need to run as Admin for Vista & Win7 or else you can’t hook games(From what I read)
You can also check Auto suppress repetition & Enable global filter to Remove 1 or 2 repetitions of each character but since Cp2Tran has that feature already and I personally see no improvement on removing repetitions I just leave it unchecked.
Now after playing a while, you’ll find that ITH hook texts in different lines/threads, you can link them together so they display in one thread and you don’t need to switch here and there.
Lastly, I can suggest a good word translator Lingoes that you can use with this, it has the capture word by clicking which is useful because it doesn’t clash with the clipboard translator.
Lastly, if your Japanese is in fact better than English, there is a Chinese to Japanese translation software that works with Cp2tran. It is called Jbeijing7 (Japanese software). Jbeijing7 can have user inputed translation. Basically, the Chinese community mostly uses this translation software as there is a community made Japanese to Chinese library that is better I think(did not try so not sure).
Any problems using it please comment here to ask.